Commissioner Jan Malcolm, Department of Health
- Commissioner Malcolm reported 2,954 new cases of COVID-19. This brings the state’s total number of COVID-19 cases thus far to 153,620.
- Yesterday, 31,184 COVID-19 tests were processed.
- There were nine new deaths due to COVID-19. This brings the state’s total number of COVID-19 deaths to 2,484.
- A total of 10,437 patients have been hospitalized due to COVID-19 with 2,729 of them in the ICU.
- Currently, 748 patients are hospitalized for COVID-19 with 182 in the ICU.
- The seven-day COVID-19 test positivity average is 8.1%. This figure is expected to rise.
- Commissioner Malcolm stated that healthcare workers are continuing to get exposed to COVID-19 in the community more so than at work. This is due to social gatherings such a happy hours, brunches, and weddings contributing to the high level of community spread. With hospital use going up, the state’s hospital capacity is holding up. However, that can change due to staff shortages. The commissioner asked Minnesotans to change their behavior and avoid crowds, wear masks, and keep a physical distance of six feet.
Director Kris Ehresmann, Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Prevention, and Control Division&&
- Director Ehresmann reported that 47 counties are at or above the 5% test positivity rate. Nine counties are at or above the 10% positivity rate. Red Lake County is over 15%.
- The top 12 counties with the highest per capita cases continue to be outside the metro area, particularly in southwestern Minnesota.
- These cases increases are not due to any particular event such as a school, workplace, or prison outbreak. They are due to a high level of community spread.
Election Day Voting
For those planning to vote in-person tomorrow for Election Day, the polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m.
- For information on where to vote, click here.
- For information regarding what is on your ballot, click here.
Amos A. Briggs | Government Relations
LOCKRIDGE GRINDAL NAUEN P.L.L.P.
100 Washington Avenue S | Suite 2200 | Minneapolis MN& 55401